Columbus Township Building Official

– Roland Suess

Phone: (586) 727-2055 ext. 4


Columbus Township is a zoned community requiring building permits. Applications to build are available in the office during regular business hours, or can be printed from the links below.

The typical permits issued are for barns, homes, garages, additions, decks and ponds.

Refer to the Zoning Ordinance for site and use requirements.

  • An application fee of $150 is required when turning in building permits which will be applied to your permit fees. If mailing please enclose a check for $150!


The State Building Code requirements also apply to buildings and structures (except Agriculturally exempt).

The Township Board adopted the State of Michigan Building Codes and we must follow the States rules and guidelines. Our building inspectors are required to inspect buildings to meet the State Code and enforce the guidelines set forth in the Code.

In addition to building permits check with the Township to see if mechanical, electrical or plumbing permits are required for the project you are doing. Applications for plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits are available at the Township office and online.

The Building Department tries very hard to help residents get going on their projects but delays sometimes can happen. Any delays are usually because the proper building plans and site plan drawings are not submitted.  Delays can also be due to a lack detail needed for the plan review. The Township encourages you to get the building packets early on and read them thoroughly.

Inspections for any structure are to be called into the Township office during regular business hours. An inspection request is written up and given to the inspector. If you are not ready for the inspection when you requested it, a re-inspection fee will be charged if you are not ready at the time you requested. Inspections for electrical, plumbing and mechanical are to be called into the Township office during office hours also. (586)-7276-2055.

Zoning is required for all AG Exempt buildings; please call the office for more information.